How to Get Kids Involved in Golf
I am quite frankly astonished by the amazing response I had to posting just the first page of this article from my new Grow the Game book on facebook. There were several hundred likes, shares and comments and over 25,000 people saw the post! I was equally astonished, by the number of people emailing me and practically begging to read the whole article…. So here are the entire fours pages, enjoy…
The dumpster where they put 60 years worth of old clubs, balls, and rubbish that the old pro had accumulated in his tiny little pro shop. From it, my uncle Forbes, whom I happened to be visiting, rescued a hand full of hickory-shafted clubs, which were promptly cut down and sent back with me in England.
My parents didn’t play golf so I started hitting balls on my own on a playing field. Soon after, I persuaded my parents to get me into a club as a junior member. For the next 8 years, I spent every waking hour, other than school, at Lilleshall and later Shifinal golf clubs. The handful of kids I played with there are still my best friends today although I moved 4,000 miles away.
The knowledge I gained about life and business on those fairways surpassed anything I ever learned in college. Although my golf did get me a full scholarship.
Here is Why:
1. Anyone Can Play: Golfers come in all shapes and sizes. You don’t have to be particularly strong, tall, lean or fast to succeed. Golf champions come in every shape and size imaginable. It’s never too early to start, and unlike most other sports you can enjoy golf your entire life!
2. Minimal Risk: Unlike many other popular sports like baseball, soccer, and Football, the chances of injury, especially serious injury, are almost non-existent; golf is a non-contact sport.
3. Safe and positive environment: The golf course is a safe place and facilitates mentoring relationships.
5. Prepare for business: It’s hard to think about it now but kids grow up and the people they meet as children can play a huge part in their success later in life. Golf is a sport that helps prepare kids and teens for careers in business and other professional arenas. Even at 12, I was learning about real life business every day from all the adults I played with.
6. Time Spent Outdoors: In today’s world of video games, smartphones, and child obesity, it can be hard to drag your son or daughter off the couch. Golf is the perfect excuse to spend an entire day enjoying nature and presents the opportunity to develop healthy lifelong exercise habits!
7. Important Life Lessons: Golf closely parallels real life as one experiences the highs and lows of the game. The range of experience, from birdies to bogeys, rewards a young person’s ability to keep each shot in perspective, manage one’s emotions, maintain a positive outlook and focus on the shot at hand. Golf is a sport that will teach your child things like integrity, discipline, and respect. As they learn to conduct themselves on the golf course, these lessons will translate directly into everyday life. (See http://traitsofchampions.com)
8. College Scholarships: Avid golfers have a lot of opportunities when it comes to college funding. The earlier your child starts, the greater his or her chance is of gaining access to scholarship money.
9. Spend time with family: Golf is a game that encourages family participation. When children are young, they enjoy doing just about anything with you (but it doesn’t long last so start now). Golf is an opportunity for quality bonding time and it’s one that can last a lifetime.
10. It’s FUN: This should probably be at the top of the list, but one of the best reasons to get your son or daughter involved with golf is that they’ll have an absolute blast. They’ll have the chance to learn new skills both physical and mental, make new friends and discover new opportunities.
There are a million things you can buy your kids or gift your kids in the hope that it helps them learn and grow, only a few make a real impact.
Encouraging them to play golf is one!
- Get your kids some lessons with a local pro. (ADD NAME, NUMBER, AND URL TO OFFER HERE)
- Get them a junior membership, normally amazingly cheap compared to other activities. (ADD COURSE NAME URL AND NUMBER)
- Give yourself a high five for doing something that will make a real difference in your child’s life!
I know it did in mine… I can’t tell you, what an amazing difference golf has made to my life. Although I had hoped to become a golf professional, I never did. In the end, it didn’t really matter, the travel, friendships, business opportunities and the fact that at 52 I can still easily walk 36 holes in a day, more than made up for it!
Thank you, Mum and Dad!
PS: And Uncle Forbes (He’s the little guy on the left)
For 30 more pages of positive, game growing articles, examples, and rights to use this copy, click here and visit the Golf Operator Association’s website. The Golf Operator Association’s mission is simple; to provide you with the tools you need to grow the game and grow your business.
Comment and let me know what you think by clicking here.
PPS: If you work in the golf industry, please watch this video on growing the game.