It’s the end of February, and I have given you a few extra weeks to assess what was awesome in 2018, to establish some New Year’s’ resolutions (likely thought about again 330 days from now), and to eat less chocolate or drink less beer or visit the gym more often (blah blah).
BUT, no matter how you evaluated 2018, and no matter how you have set goals for 2019, I have one BIG question for you.
Are you going insane?
I don’t mean to be insulting.
I don’t mean to provide commentary on the terrible crisis of mental health.
And I certainly don’t mean to insinuate that you are spending too much time talking to your cats.
But I do ask the question… are you going insane!
According to Albert Einstein, the definition of Insanity is doing the same over and over again and expecting different results.
With that premise in mind, take this simple test to determine if this blog post is directed at you.
10 ways to determine if you are going insane
You are going insane IF…
- You will be welcoming back ‘every’ employee from last year regardless of performance
- You copy and pasted ‘last year’s’ marketing budget without knowing the ROI for each dollar spent
- You took last year’s expenses and added 5% for ‘inflation’
- You haven’t surveyed your members/customers in the last three years but you do listen to the dirty dozen / the squeaky wheels/ the ones who have their own best interests in mind – you know who they are!
- You believe the golf industry is just oversupplied and it’s just a matter of time before things ‘correct themselves’
- You have faith that your new discount offer “Buy 3 and get 1 Free’ will somehow grow your revenues
- You think your managers have a master plan that they are following that gives them clear and measurable ‘SMART’ goals that are aligned with the Club’s strategic plan (you have one of those right?)
- You allow your Board of Directors to sit around asking you about why the French Fries seemed soggier last year, instead of considering a long term plan to address an annual decline in new members
- You expect your staff of millennials to appreciate the wonderful work environment that your facility provides as sufficient compensation for their efforts to go above and beyond.
10.You believe that you are a critically-minded, innovative and a creative leader, yet in the past five years you haven’t seriously read any business books, attended any education seminars or consulted with your peers on best practices.
If you are doing most of the things listed above AND you expect to get different results in 2019 there’s no doubt about it, you’re definitely INSANE!!
According to me, although not as smart as Einstein (but really really close!), the definition of insanity is not taking the time to take a hard look at your plan, your people, your processes, and finally, yourself in the mirror!
In my travels as a coach, trainer, consultant and speaker, the most consistent thing that I find with clubs that are struggling is the lack of critical thinking by the management team. They are afraid to not only change, but even afraid to talk about change! Too many hurt feelings! Too many sacred cows! Too many bland opinions and not enoughleaders in leadership!
So to not go insane, but instead, to get crystal clear on what amazing opportunities await, I suggest that NOW is the time of year to say, “Why not now?”
Make 2019 different than years past!
Make 2019 the year that you take a critical look at your plan, your people and your processes so that you can make improvements that lead to more profits!
Don’t go insane!
Be brave…. Be different… and make 2019 a POWERED ON success!
A final word of advice. Be willing to ask for help!
Nobody is good at everything, that’s what consultants are for. The Cronk Group teamcan help you with your people, your plan, your processes and your performance. We offer everything from one hour online coaching to full-service management services and everything in between! So contact us and let the Cronk Group ensure your 2019 is a Powered On success!